Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review of Fifty Shades Darker


Fifty Shades Darker by El James

Alright, so I finished the second in El James' series. There were a lot of things I liked and some I didn't. The book in general was great because I got to see the change Christian made, and it was the way I would have wanted him to. In fifty shades darker you see that he isn't at all dark like you thought in the first story.

I love that chapter by chapter he let go of all his demons and really dove head first into life. It was a beautiful thing.

The ending was at first confusing, but then I was like holy sh%#!! This might have changed my mind about the next book (which I wasn't sure if I would read).

I will say the author did an amazing job at creating such a character as Christian Grey. I really would like to see someone try and outdo him; I don't think it’s possible. And I honestly hope nobody tries. There is just something about Grey that is unlike anyone I have ever read about and will ever read about. He might be my favorite fictional character because I love how dysfunctional he is.

As for Ana, well, she is annoying most times. I see that she loves him and is caring, but she also is overly stubborn and just has me shaking my head a lot. Some of the things she does or thinks are just over the top. She is either really smart or really stupid about life. I guess they level each other out though.

My only gripe about the writing is the overuse of the word salacious and a few others, and also the inner goddess. I am hoping she packed it up and isn't around in book three. There are only so many times I can handle a description of an imaginary part of a book. I could have learned everything I needed to learn about Ana through Ana, I don't think it was essential to use this "inner goddess" to get the point across all the time.

I think the second book will not disappoint readers. It was even more exciting than the first. It had a lot of great things going on. The last gripe I will mention is the amount of sex; I understand this is what the book is, and what drives a lot of readers wild about it. But at one point, I just felt like it was the same song and dance time and time again. I get that they both are into each other, but it would have been nice to see more to the story then how many ways he can bang Ana.

If you’re looking for a steamy novel with a romantic side as well as one hell of a story and characters, then don't be a wuss and read these books. Its graphic and not for everyone, but I think if you give it a try you will understand its wonderful and less taboo then everyone makes it seem.

If I come off picky with book two, well that’s because I was, I have a hard time reading anything if it doesn't do what I want it to, but that doesn't take away from the fact El James has created a great set of books that I am proud to have read as well as so many others. Great job!

Grab a copy!! Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed

No comments:

Post a Comment