Saturday, March 10, 2012

Passion, Romance, Intrigue... Forbidden

Last month a friend of mine started reading this book and she kept raving about it. “You have to read this, Brandi” she insisted, and so I agreed. She sent me a copy and I cracked it open, not at all aware of what I was getting into. I don’t pay attention to genres, and I certainly don’t read reviews to determine if I want to read a book or not. I read a description and make a judgment call, because really, like every new relationship, I think a book needs to be approached without bias. How else will a “bad book” ever get a fair shake? 

So, as I start reading I am making mental notes. Not the greatest of writing, pretty basic really, but it has something. So I keep reading. I tell myself, this girl is kind of silly, but her inner monologue is getting tiresome, but it still has something, and I keep reading. Enter the closed off, mysterious male, and I am sitting forward in my seat. Definitely has something. Sprinkle in some humor and embarrassing situations, and I am hooked. Before I know it, I have hit the last page and I am thinking, well, darn! Where’s the rest? I immediately tracked down copies of the final two in this trilogy and it has been in the back of my mind ever since. 

The book I am talking about is Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James. 

By now it is no secret that this book is taking the world by storm. Gracing headlines everywhere, Fifty Shades has worked its way into the homes and lives of housewives around the world and opened their eyes to something that was previously a no-no, and told them all “It’s okay to like this sort of thing.” The reason it is the shocker that it is can probably be contributed to the fact that for centuries society has pigeonholed women into the role of wife, mother, and homemaker, and never given them permission to be the sexual creatures they were made to be. Men can be forward with sex, it’s to be expected even. For women, when the topic of sex hits the table, it is usually hushed and secretive. When others find out we’re talking about it--and enjoying it!--it suddenly becomes a sensation. 

When did “sex” become a dirty word? 

Fifty Shades of Grey tickled something in my brain that I had been denying for a long time. For me, it was like a breath of fresh air, an opening of windows and doors after a winter of being cooped up inside to let in the fresh, crisp springtime air. I finally realized that sex is okay to talk about, to think about, and especially, to crave. Women everywhere are saying that this book translated to the bedroom and has rekindled their love lives, and I will admit to the same. There is nothing taboo in this book. Everything is touched on and explored and if you were previously inclined to feel embarrassed by any of the roads Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele ventured down, you won’t be after you finish this series. 

As a fair warning to anyone considering this trilogy: It’s not for everyone. You’ll either love it, or hate it. You have to keep an open mind and be ready for anything. Realize that, although these books have a strong sexual base, they also have a glorious story in between—this is what really hooked me! Consider it a romance novel, but the heat level has been turned up…to scorching. 

If you’re ready to open your mind and explore a world of forbidden pleasure, check out Fifty Shades of Grey. 
It's well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment