Sunday, February 26, 2012

Interview with Author Holly Hood

Today I would like to introduce you to a dear friend of mine. Growing up together I had the pleasure (and the pain) of getting to know her. Whether she was dancing her butt off to 80s teeny bop music, scaling refrigerators in record time, or terrorizing the neighborhood with locust shells, I have seen the lighter and darker sides of her, as well as the shades in between, and I love them all! I can tell you from first-hand experience that she is a character full of wit and grace and good humor, all of which reflect in her writing. From the start of her popular series Wingless, to her latest Perfectly Hopeless, I have been with her every step of the way as she labored for hours trying to birth these creations that have a tendency to wrench an exquisite range of emotion from its readers and all I have to say is…You go girl! I am so proud of you!
I give to you Mrs. Holly Hood.  

Who are you? What do you do?

Who am I? I am a girl with the hopes and dreams of a teen just moving to Hollywood in hopes of super-stardom. I do many things; some of those include bossing around my children, cleaning, cooking and rock climbing on my down time. Maybe not the rock climbing, but hey, a girl can make things up. I’m a laid back, quiet person. My favorite color is purple—used to be green. It’s really hard for me to describe myself.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Yes. I was a very bored child. I spent days trying to entertain myself when I wasn’t playing with friends. So, on my down time I created these imaginary worlds where I could be whatever I wanted. This blossomed into writing it all down on paper. It was an escape.

What inspired you to write your first book?

That would be the vampires. I was at home watching this crazy fad take hold of the world. And me being the stubborn girl that I am, crossed my arms and said I could do that, but in a whole different way. That’s when I came up with the story Wingless. It was a book with a forbidden love, sure. But the love wasn’t a hopped up sparkling vamp with depression issues, mine was a troubled grim reaper with life issues.

How did you come up with the title?

That’s a really good question that I have no answer for. I named the book before I wrote it. And then I found it went with the title. Go figure. I’m weird like that.

How much of the book is realistic?

*looks over shoulder* There are a lot of parts that pertain to some aspect of my life in all my writing. I won’t say which ones or anything, but most times it’s just how I would feel or handle a situation in fantasy land. (I’ve been told that place exists. I just need the map to find it.)

What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine?
Oh how you make me laugh. Yes! I do. I write every day, and when I don’t write I am editing or thinking about a new story or one that is close to finished. I go through withdrawals, start twitching and have night terrors if I can’t release the creative demons that live inside my brain. It’s scary stuff.

What motivates you to write?

Everything. When I am mad, I write. When I am sad, I write. All emotions make me want to create a new world. I can watch TV or a movie and BAM! An idea hits me. I can see someone on television and a million ideas just jumped at me. I love that.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I’d say they are made up. I like creating really screwed up worlds for my characters. I like pushing them to the brink of insanity. It’s fun.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Yeah, it’s called the I-write-first-and-ask-questions-later writing style. I don’t believe in change. That’s why I am still rocking the same 70s hairstyle. (Side note: I wasn’t even born in the 70’s so this is a lie). I think your first run should be what you go with in a book. I write it, sometimes I plot things out, but for the most part it’s what comes to me. I usually write in first or third. And I have to have music playing when I am writing, but not during editing.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?
No, I had my doctor write me a prescription. *grins* I hate to say this, but no. I don’t even know what that is like.

Do you see writing as a career?

It was what I was meant to do. I believe that. So that would be a big fat, yes.

What are your current / future projects?

Current project is getting Gypsies back on the market. Doing a re-vamp. Then I am hoping to finish Boonville. And also get Ink 2 out there before the end of the year. I also started another series, Love Hurts, and I plan on writing that book soon too.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Yes. I learned that people actually like my writing. And I learned what passion means. I found mine the day I realized other people enjoyed my stories.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Yes. I want readers to see that people are strange. People are messed up and I want them to cry. I will allow a bit of laughter, I find it’s acceptable to let them laugh occasionally in my books. But my main goal is to leave them haunted by my stories. If I can have someone thinking about my story long after they read it, then I did my job.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
My latest is Perfectly Hopeless. And that would be a no. Sure, sometimes my endings are hard and I struggle with them, but I really like the way it turned out. So that would be a no.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

I would say murder. It’s always hard to kill anyone that means something. Other times I am like Christian Bale in American Psycho dancing around to “It’s Hip to be Square” as I bludgeon my characters. *laughs evilly*


Do you have any advice for other writers?

Do they have any for me? What about an even trade? You can’t get something for nothing, can you? Write every day. Forget what you think is cool, or what others think is cool and just write from your heart. If you don’t have a heart, write from your esophagus. Put yourself in your characters shoes, close your eyes for a moment, envision the moment, you will be surprised what you can come up with. And lastly, don’t take it so seriously, it’s writing, it is supposed to be fun. If it wasn’t, then you should do something else, like shaving buffaloes in exchange for cracker jacks.

What book are you reading now?

I’m not reading any book right now. If I was that would be kind of rude. I am doing this interview for you. But before this I was reading Fifty Shades of Grey. It’s a book unlike any book I ever read, but I am really into it. I plan on reading the other two as well.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Poe, because he had this darkness about him. When you read his work you’re sucked into this dark, haunting place. A place where you want to leave, but at the same time you want to be there. Every time I read his work, I wonder what he must have been like in real life.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

Entity? *runs for the dictionary* Booze and gambling….no, my friends. I have two great friends, Brandi, aka the angel of darkness and all things punk, and Katie, aka Red. They both love writing and there is no better people than them two to support me.

Finally, do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I want to say…thank you. Thank you for reading and putting up with my mentally unstable imagination. Thank you for the support!

And there you have it folks! A glimpse into the quirky ramblings of a mentally unbalanced woman in obvious need of professional intervention, who brings to the table wonderfully creative works put together for your entertainment.
Somebody call Dr. Spaceman! (pronounced Spa-che-men) Mrs. Hood needs her meds...


1 comment:

  1. PROUD HUSBAND!!! So glad im on this amaazing journey with you babe.

    ReplyDelete